Monday, January 16, 2012

Literacy View

"I wanted to be sure that my children understood that reading is about making sense, not about calling words or sounding out." (Bell, D. 2002)

To me that statement sums up how I feel about teaching children to read and making them understand that reading is not about getting the words out, but making them understand that there is a purpose behind what they read.  These teachers in the journal article "Letting go of the Letter of the Week," made me realize that students can learn to read in many different ways.  I love the alphabet chart using the student's pictures and pictures of items they already know.  It was an awesome idea to have the children write for purpose, not just for a writing prompt.  It teaches them that writing has real meaning in life.  I will take these ideas into my classroom in the future.

"Teacher's were consistent in their management techniques, so the children knew what was expected of them and consequently carried out work that needed to be done." (Morrow, L.M., Tracey, D.H., Woo, D.G., & Pressley, M. 1999)

When a teacher teaches her students a routine and models that behavior she expects from them, they are eager to please and will follow through with good results.  The teachers studied in the journal article, "Characteristics of exemplary first-grade literacy instruction"  have some wonderful ideas for their classrooms.  In this article they combined all the teachers and came up with the exemplary classroom.  I want to be that teacher that makes a list like this one.  I like hearing and reading ideas that others use in their classroom.  It will be a great start to my classroom and to see what works for me and what doesn't.


Biliography

Bell, D. & Jarvis, D. (2002).  Letting go of “Letter of the Week”. Primary Voices K-6, 11(2), p. 10-24.

Morrow, L.M., Tracey, D.H., Woo, D.G., & Pressley, M. (1999).  Characteristics of exemplary first-grade literacy instruction.  The Reading Teacher, 52(5), p. 462-476.


No comments:

Post a Comment