Monday, January 16, 2012

Literacy Experiences

I do not remember a lot about my past literacy experiences.  I do know that it always seemed to come natural for me.  I do remember taking reading tests that compared the grade level you were in to the grade level that you could read and comprehend.  I scored on a 8th grade reading level when I was in 2nd grade.  I remember that because my mom made such a big deal about it and posted the results on the refrigerator for a long time.

 In Kindergarten I learned using the letter of the week strategy.  We would have a study on each letter and bring in show and tell objects that begin with that letter.  I would imagine this was my strategy for learning how to read.  Learning all the sounds of the words and sounding out all the words in the book.

My parents did not read to me.  I always felt as though they thought I was smart enough to read to myself, so why bother reading to me.  I remember in first grade getting the book "My Favorite Book" and reading it to my sister over and over again.  I used it so much that the book was brown from fingerprints and whatever else a 6 year old could get into.  I kept that book all the way through high school but don't know what happened to it after I moved out of my parents' house.

I guess I remember quite a bit about my literacy experiences once I start thinking back.  I also use to love writing in a diary and that is where I got all of my feelings out.  That is a useful strategy as long as you don't have a nosey family that likes to go through your things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment